From the loss of Bowie, Prince, Alan Rickman, and Carrie Fisher (among so many others) to the political disasters of Brexit and Trump, I think we can all admit that 2016 kind of sucked on a macro level. I had two procedures (one major) on my spine and continue to have chronic pain, but at least I’m (mostly) out of a wheelchair now.
However, it’s wasn’t all bad.
I wanted to read more than I did in 2016, but I still have some year end recommended reads that I’ve reviewed this year. I’ve joined the Goodreads 2017 Reading Challenge. Follow my progress and add me as a friend here.
- I loved Lez Talk: A Collection of Black Lesbian Short Fiction, edited by S. Andrea Allen and Lauren Cherelle. It includes two stories by one of my favorite authors, K.A. Smith. Read my rave review here.
- Forbidden by Beverly Jenkins was so amazing, I ran out and read a ton more of her books. There aren’t a ton of authors of color in mainstream romance, and she’s possibly the best of the best. Not only are her stories well plotted, she does her homework on the history as well. My review here.
- Basically anything by Kait Gamble (I reviewed five of her books here, but I read even more) but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be Sins in the Sand. By the way, she just published a new book, Faking It, which I’ve bought and am looking forward to reading.
- Basically anything by Alisha Rai (I three of reviewed of her books here, although I’ve read even more) but my favorite is Glutton for Pleasure.
- Finally, one of my favorite reads of 2016 was Tamsin Flower’s serial novel, Alchemy XII. It opens on New Year’s Eve and continues month by month through December. (I was a beta reader for this series, and I loved every minute I spent with Harry and Olivia.)
Big Publication News
(Check out my Published Works page for a complete list of purchase links if Amazon Kindle isn’t available in your country)
Other Publication News
- Intrepid Horizons, edited by Jessica Augustsson, included my story, Dumped. Blurb–A Unicorn’s (former) Virgin is left out as bait for a dragon, but things don’t go exactly as planned.
- Rogues, edited by Delilah Devlin, included my story, Plunder. Blurb–Sparks fly when the Caribbean’s most fearsome pirate falls under the spell of a sexy spitfire who’d rather send him to Davy Jones’s locker. I am working on a full-length novel version of this story, which will hopefully be published in 2018.
- Coming Together Under the Mistletoe, edited by me, included two of my stories Kid Comet and an updated version of Baby it’s Hot Outside.
- My essay An Expat Fourth of July was published by Long and Short Reviews.
Other Stuff I Wrote
- Flash Fiction (for Wicked Wednesday) Dream or Nightmare
- Flash Fiction (A Wicked Wednesday Top 3 story) Off Limits
- Flash Fiction (for Wicked Wednesday) Keep the Shoes On
- What I did for Lust, will be included in the upcoming anthology, Prompted.
- Kid Comet, the third in my North Pole Chronicles series, was in Under the Mistletoe.
- I further updated Baby it’s Hot Outside, was in Under the Mistletoe
- For Love of Snow White was submitted
- I expanded my first published story, Renewal, and submitted it
- Lab Rats, was rejected (nbd, how publishing rolls)
- Forbidden Territory was rejected (nbd, how publishing rolls)
- I expanded Love is a Virus, and it was rejected (nbd, how publishing rolls)
- I wrote the first draft of the full length novel version of Plunder. (It sucks–all first drafts suck)
My writing goals for 2017 are to finish Plunder and to write 5-10 short stories, including at least one more installment of the North Pole Chronicles.
Filed under: book reviews, Writing | Tagged: 2016, 2017, Alchemy xii, Alisha Rai, baby it's hot outside, Beverly Jenkins, Capturing the Moment, Coming Together Under the Mistletoe, Delilah Devlin, delilah night, Dream or Nightmare, dumped, Expat Fourth of July, Faking it, Flash Fiction, For Love of Snow White, Forbidden, Forbidden Territory, Glutton for Pleasure, Good Reads, Goodreads Challenge, Intrepid Horizons, Jessica Augustsson, K. A. Smith, Kait Gamble, Keep the Shoes On, kid comet, Lab Rats, Lez Talk, Long and Short Reviews, Love is a Virus, Off Limits, Plunder, Prompted, Recommended Read, renewal, Rogues, S. Andrea Allen, Sins in the Sand, Tamsin Flowers, Under the Mistletoe, What I Did for Lust, Wicked Wednesday, Writing Goals | 2 Comments »